Within the movie Akira, the laws of physics are very similar to our own, yet they are broken from time to time that relate more to the “super natural” aspect of the characters.
A. Low and High Pressure
1. In the scene where Kaneda is facing off a rival biker gang leader, they play “chicken” with each other, leading them to ride the center line of the high way and face off, Kaneda wins simply based on the principle that his bike his more efficient and high tech, yet they both would have dealt with some difficulties.
a. With higher pressure surrounding the bikes as they drive towards each other along with the lower amount of air pressure created from their speed, there would have been a vacuum effect between the two of them, playing a role of a whipping effect as soon as they pass each other.
2. In the scene that Tetsuo makes his escape to find Akira, there is a suction from the great amount of speed he produces. As if from when Tetsuo uses his powers to levitate the debris surrounding him, he creates a source of lower pressure about his form as everything else is at a higher pressure.
3. The last scene of the film
1. In the first scene introducing Takashi, one of the young children with mental powers, he creates an explosion from the buildings, which in turn shatters glass to fall down to a group of onlookers. The glass itself falls too slow to display realism, especially after the initial explosion which is fast and short, the transition between the two is very apparent but is clearly used to enhance the scene itself.
2. When it comes to using their power, the character with special capabilities can levitate and move objects despite their size and weight against gravity.
a. The scene when Kaneda first discovers more of his powers within the Baby room within the government facility , he creates vacuums as well as channels energy to throw and levitate large pieces of debris.
3. Characters with special powers are able to walk on water as well as fly.
a. In the scenes when Takashi retrieves Kei at the channel, he is walking on the water as well as Kei because of her own special capabilities.
1. There is realistic physics involved in the movie but in order to convey the effect of super natural powers, the boundaries of realism is pushed.
a. The climatic ending for the film, has the combination of pushed reality in a sense that the main character Kaneda is floating through space but with inconstant speed as well as an unbalanced sense of gravity as objects are flying about the scene.
The effect of physics being pushed to unrealistic settings help and benefit this movie. If everything was of a more natural feel, the story would be dull and unconvincing of how the characters have super natural powers.